Search My Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Film, negatives, spools, and darkrooms. Oh my!

Adira is, as I said in the first blog post, an aspiring photographer. Naturally, she knows a lot about the art.

I do not.

During editing, I've come across a lot of this:

I stepped into the darkroom and turned on the safety light. I felt the pressure and adrenaline that always comes with developing a perfect role of film. [INSERT STUFF ABOUT DARKROOMS AND DEVELOPING FILM]

I've known, since I chose this hobby and aspiration for Adira, that, at some point, I'd have to learn about photography. So that's what I'm doing! Via YouTube. How-to videos are just the best.

After a couple videos. I'm going to test out my new knowledge and try to make it seem like Adira actually knows what she doing. And you get to see it first. (Oh, dear.) 

I stepped into the darkroom and turned on the safety light. I felt the pressure and adrenaline that always comes with developing a perfect role of film. From just under the table, I pulled out the three water jugs I needed. The smell of Rodinal tickled my nose pleasantly, like walking into a house that smells of freshly baked cookies.
With the chemicals ready on the counter, I wound my camera and took out the film I'd used at the park. Careful not to crinkle the film, I held my breath and wound it onto the 120 film spool, holding the edges lightly between my forefinger and thumb.
Wound. I let my breath out and felt the flawless work I'd done. I hoped these pictures would be the ones I'd send in. I was out of ideas.

There you have it! I hope it sounds natural.

Your researching blogger,
Jessie

2 comments:

  1. I'm sold! You definitely sound like you know what you're talking about. :) It makes me laugh that you're using Youtube to learn, but of course that's a legit way to do it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Why, thank you, Kirsten. You're legit for saying that. ;)

    ReplyDelete