Search My Blog

Thursday, September 22, 2011

What's Her Name

I want Adira to stick with people. I want her to move the people who read about her. I want her to be this great girl who goes from victem to survivor heroine. I want people to want to be like her.

What I don't want is for someone to tell her friend about this this book and have it go something like, "Oh, yeah, the story was about this girl...what's her name? Well, I don't really remember her, but her friend was cool, and that guy was cute..."

I still feel like Adira is not quite right. Working on this third revision has been terribly difficult, and over the last few days I realized it's because Adira is a half-formed person that I don't know well enough to write a story about. I know her story--where she starts and where she has to finish, but Adira doesn't possess all the qualities to make her awesome and three-demensional along the way. If her personality had a face, I'm sure it would look like this:


Which is, you know...Picasso. I'm not an artist and I don't spend much time analysing paintings, but this chick looks kind of weepy and about to fall apart into itty bitty pieces. And frankly, she's not easy on the eyes.

I'm revamping Adira and making her into who she should be--a strong, leading young woman/heroine without a cape/someone I hope you'll all love.   

No comments:

Post a Comment